The single bedroom upstairs seemed like a good candidate as it is the smallest room in the house. It has a single bed with a pull out underneath for when my delightful but chaotic niece and nephew come to stay.
So the plan of action and current progress:
1) Strip the wall paper - in parts the wall paper turned out to be 4 layer thick and had yellow, pink, blue and grey (yey!) plus a few layers of paint. So all in all it was a bit of a slog to remove and I'd estimate took about 10 hours. I just finished this the other night.
2) Rip off the current skirting boards - I will be replacing with new either in a traditional style.
3) Remove the raditaor and light switches / fittings
4) Get the walls skimmed or lining papered
5) Get the door dipped and strip and repaint the surround white - I've almost stripped all the paint off the door surround.
6) Install new picture rail painted white
7) Install new radiator
8) Install new light fittings / switches and plug sockets
9) Install new laminate flooring and skirting boards
10) Paint the room (jury still out over the colour...)
Here are some colours I like - leaning towards the more period colours and possibly a blue, green, purple or yellow. I'm not allowed to paint it a pale grey....!!!
This is my favourite inspiration so far for colours:
This is Farrow and Ball paint in colours stone blue and brassica. I love this!!!
Some colours from Fired Earth...
Some colours from Farrow & Ball
If there is space we would love to put in a traditional style radiator:
I like this vintage style light for on the wall: