Wednesday 18 January 2012

Bits and Bobs

Its been a while since my last blog post.  I have a few bits and bobs to share with you.  Firstly, on my latest trip to Glasgow I ordered the curtain fabric for the dining room.  I needed 17.5 metres in total which should be enough for the curtains, pelmet and a couple of cushions.  I am still to buy the lining, curtain rail, thread etc...

Tartan - Skye Heather from Remnant Kings

I also went back to House of Sher and bought a couple more light fittings for the house.  These are for the hall and are a smaller version of the large statement light in the entrance of the hall as shown in an earlier blog post.  I also got 20% off....boost!

Light for top and middle landing of hall
My next project was a slight set away from interiors and towards baking - a 30th birthday cake for my sister!! I haven't baked in years, despite my childhood ambition to have my own bakery - how I went from baker to engineer I don't quite know!!

Baked two chocolate cakes to make a sandwich

Bought ready to roll icing in a variety of colours my sister likes - plum and grey

I bought capital and small letter cutters online plus number cutters

Took a while to get the hang of this - my tips would be roll icing very thin
and use plenty icing sugar to stop it sticking

The final product.  I bought a bow cutter but couldn't get it to work
so improvised with some heart cutters I already had...
Really pleased with how the cake turned out and happy to report it also tasted really nice :-)

Here's me and big sis on her night out.  We went for dinner to Jamie's Italian in Glasgow (which I would definitely recommend) and then for drinks at Corinthian.


Me (R) and my big sis (L)

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Looks like you and your sister had a fab time, the cake looked perfect! I've looked back at your revamp of your kitchen - it looks amazing, the colour of the units is gorgeous. I have also painted my kitchen units and am planning on painting some tiles - how is the Ronseal tile paint holding out? Did it go on smoothly? I'm a bit wary about using it and would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks. Good luck with making the curtains! x

    ReplyDelete